The fact that barcoding provides ROI benefit is clearly established. The challenge for most companies though is determining how to calculate those returns.
Leading technology research organizations — including AMR, Gartner Research, The Meta Group and Venture Development Corp. — agree that utilizing real‐time automated data collection (ADC) or barcoding to feed information to an enterprise software system (ERP) substantially improves the return on investment for the entire ERP investment.
One such study, conducted by the Wireless LAN Alliance (WLANA) — a non‐profit association of organizations involved in wireless technology — examined companies across six major industries to determine the degree and speed of ROI recovery from ADC. Some of the study's significant findings include:
- 92% of respondents believe they receive economic benefits from ADC
- 92% of respondents will seek new areas to deploy wireless technology
- 97% agree that task completion is faster
- 100% of respondents reported that they achieved payback within a year
- Average annual cost per user ......................... $4,550
- Average annual savings per user .................. $15,989
- Net benefit per user, per year ...................... $11,439
Source: Wireless LAN Alliance
The fact that barcoding provides ROI benefit is clearly established. The challenge for most companies interested in determining the ROI on ADC is identifying where their returns occur and how to calculate those returns. To read the rest of the whitepaper: